|2 years of failure
||Ambient, Breakbeat, Chiptune, EDM (Electronic Dance Music), Electronica, House, IDM (Intelligent Dance Music), Minimal Techno, Trance
||Name your price
|This article is still a work in progress.|
Technically all of them are, but this one might not be completely ready for public viewing.
2 years of failure is C418's most recent collection of assorted tracks for projects both finished, unfinished, and non-existent. It could be considered the minor album counterpart to 148.
This is a collection of failures, unpublished works, rescued broken song files and things that I simply cannot sell.
These songs were created over the course of the past two years. Those two years haven't been the easiest to me, but I don't do easy. I decided to give this all to you for free. Because I love you.
2 years of failure describes the content of this album aptly. It’s a collection of 2 years of projects that lead nowhere. Or songs that didn’t fit anywhere else.
the 90s_ selection of songs is part of a game that was supposed to have a sort of japanese puzzle exchange kinda vibe. I jumped out of that project because I was absolutely not in the right headspace to work on as many projects as I signed myself up to at that time.
- The shortest song on 2 years of failure.
- All the songs in the "90s_suite" use the same musical theme.
house_loneliness is part of a project that was very promising, but all team members moved on to do other things and it ultimately lead to nothing.
- A very small portion of the beginning of choice_broken can be heard in the last second of house_loneliness, presumably an error in separating the two tracks.
The cr_ songs actually have a home, in crayon physics. It’s just two songs though. I never knew where to fit them. I personally don’t like EP’s that much, even though it’s very modern to release EP’s with just a small selection of things. That seems messy in my mind. I always like to sort my music in big albums that contain it all.
- Appears in the iPad version of Crayon Physics Deluxe. C418 was confirmed to be creating music for it on the developers' blog.
- Ironically, C418 had previously complained about the lack of music in Crayon Physics:
Shame this game hasn’t any more music. Really, I expected a bit more.
- Also appears in the iPad version of Crayon Physics Deluxe.
- An early version of 185, without Baiyon's additions.
egoismus is a remix of the same song in zweitonegoismus.
This is a blast form [sic.] the past. The past of 2007. I made this song when I was pretty bummed about life in general, so the mood quite fits my old life haha. I decided to revise this song and add a few extra flourishes, so here's a "modern" rendition of it.
- A remix of egoismus. C418 had previously called it "the only track [on zweitonegoismus] I'm not entirely happy with".
- This track was initially omitted from 2 years of failure, but was added in within a day of its release.
kaneda is a combination of Akira’s soundtrack and my song from “one”.
A song I made with the AKIRA soundtrack. Obvs I can't sell it or anything, but I wanted to share it anyway.
stranger think is a song very much reminiscent of Stranger Things, though I hope I didn’t steal too much.
Here's a remix to the Stranger Things theme song by the incredibly brilliant S U R V I V E.
I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Hope you are too, haha.
- A remix of Stranger Things by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein (aka S U R V I V E), the theme song for the Netflix series of the same name.
- C418 also released a mashup using this song as strange gambino.
- A currently unreleased remix of stranger_think was produced by C418 as the theme song for Beyond Stranger Things, another Netflix series that serves as an "aftershow", with discussion from the cast and crew on the second season of Stranger Things.
Locations featured in album art
The cover of 2 years of failure features 25 images, taken during C418's travels. Listed from left to right, up to down, starting from the top left image, those photos represent:
- A1: Toronto sunset, facing southwest from near downtown
- B1: Jellyfish, likely at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago
- C1: Social gathering, unknown location
- D1: Unknown location
- E1: Toronto apartment interior, SÖDERHAMN series IKEA chaiselounges
- A2: IPSE Open Air Club, Berlin
- B2: View from window, unknown location
- C2: Paper MacBook on real MacBook, C418 Twitter
- D2: Tim Horton's shake with cotton candy, Toronto
- E2: Sunset, unknown location
- A3: Toronto Carpet Building, Toronto
- B3: Skyline of downtown Chicago, seen from Logan Square, Chicago
- C3: State Street Bridge, downtown Chicago
- D3: Intersection of Turk and Market, San Francisco
- E3: West Queen West, Toronto
- A4: Hartmann-Platz, Chemnitz
- B4: Base of street sign, Chicago
- C4: Shepard Fairey mural, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto
- D4: Interior of Cloud Gate ("The Bean"), downtown Chicago
- E4: Logan Arcade, Logan Square, Chicago
- A5: View of the River Spree, from Oberbaum Bridge, Berlin
- B5: King Liberty Shopping Area, Toronto
- C5: View out the window of an airplane, unknown location
- D5: View from Schlossteichinsel, Chemnitz
- E5: Sunset, unknown location